Time Check:
Thankyou for visiting my blog.
Do visit my blog space in few days.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What’s your style? - Part I


Writing style is unique for every writer. As a child I read few of short stories including “The adventures of tom sawyer” by Mark Twin and “The adventures of Robinson Crusoe” by Daniel Defoe etc. Just in case you want to go through his adventures Click here [Source: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/sawyr-table.html]. I got acquainted with novels when I was in class 9 (that’s my best guess). I started with Enid Blyton. She was my favourite novelist as I was growing up.

Enid Blyton: Just to give a brief about Enid Blyton. Her full name is Enid Mary Blyton. I guess the gender of Ms Blyton, must have come to you as a surprise, because many of us still think, “SHE is a HE”. Her prolific output of 700 books has been translated into more than 40 languages and sold in excess of 400 million copies worldwide. Her most famous work is the mystery series. Her writing style is very lucid and is in accordance with its audience i.e. children’s. Recently I bought a 3-combo series of Enid Blyton’s mystery adventures but could not really get into a mood to start it of. It’s far too simpler.

Then at the same time I also read few of Nancy Drew and the adventures of Hardy Boys. One interesting fast is that Nancy Drew books are published under the pseudonym “Carolyn Keene” regardless of actual author “Mildred Wirt Benson”.

From the juvenile series I graduated on to being a more serious/adult readership. I started with Sidney Sheldon. By jove not a bad choice I have made. Almost all his novels have been numero-uno international bestseller.

Sidney Sheldon: His novels grip you right from page 1. I just adore his “If tomorrow comes”, “Windmills of gods”… actually on a second thought I liked all of his work. In his all his novels the protagonist is always a lady. He does not write in a very complex way, which makes it easy to understand, and it’s got enough twist and turns to make you stick to the novel.

Dan Brown: He had gained new heights only after his “The da vinci code”. He has published 4 novels so far as of my knowledge and I have gone through all 4. Just to give you an idea I finished all his 4 novels in 15 days so I guess I don’t have to say he is addictive, which he is. He creates suspense just when you start of with the novel and he maintains the pace, which binds you to the novel throughout, much like Sidney Sheldon. Unfortunately someone has to die on the first page itself ha ha ha. His style is also very gripping and is very fast pace. Reading his first 2 novels (A&D and Da-Vince) the first impression is that he is more into symbolism but that is not the case, wait till you read the other 2 novels. He does his homework before he writes on a topic in his novels. He always gives an extensive background in all the topics, which he touches.

John Minahan: I have just read only one novel of his. “Mask” is based on a story of a deformed boy. Rocky Dennis was born with a rare genetic disorder that has deformed his face. I find this novel very inspiring. He knew he is going to die but he did not except pity or sympathy of others, does his own work and despite the fact the he is different he found joy and happiness in his own way. It’s a novel very well written will make you cry for sure. I could not hold back my tears. A must read novel.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Fardeen said...

that's a good topic. when r u publishing the next part? writing abt what u read and defining ur taste r two differnt things , not everyone can do that i guess. well done! i have recently become a big fan of Paulo Coelho. A cool writer! i can say just that... hee hee.

5/15/2007 01:15:00 AM  
Blogger mahboob said...

THANKS @FARDEEN

5/15/2007 02:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home